With Ryzen, AMD shook up the desktop CPU market, as their newest line of processors offered great performance at a competitive price point. Now, AMD is looking to do the same in the notebook processor space, with their introduction of the new AMD Ryzen mobile processors.
AMD recently announced the introduction of the AMD Ryzen™ mobile processor, previously codenamed the “Raven Ridge” mobile APU, providing leadership performance and a complete entertainment experience with optimal efficiency for premium 2-in-1s, convertibles and ultrathin notebook computers.
With a configurable 15-watt TDP, the AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U and AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U processors combine the architecture of award-winning “Zen” x86 cores–featuring AMD SenseMI Technology processor-level intelligence–with revolutionary Radeon “Vega” graphics in a System-on-Chip design to achieve unprecedented ultrathin notebook performance. The AMD Ryzen 7 2700U is the fastest processor for ultrathin notebooks, with up to 44% more multi-threaded CPU performance as well as up to 161% more graphics performance than the competition.
Consisting of up to 4 cores and 8 threads, Ryzen™ mobile processors include AMD SenseMI Technology and are designed for leadership performance in a sleek form factor. The AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U processor is the world’s fastest for ultrathin notebooks, featuring a 15W nominal processor TDP3,4. In addition, AMD Ryzen™ mobile processors provide blazing fast performance compared to the previous AMD mobile processor generation, with;
- Up to 3X the CPU performance
- up to 2.3X the GPU performance
- and up to 58% less power consumption
Ryzen mobile processors also introduce for the first time:
- New Precision Boost 2 technology, which accelerates processor performance in workloads using from one to many CPU cores and
- Mobile Extended Frequency Range (mXFR), which raises sustained performance in notebooks with great cooling solutions on notebooks certified for “Ultimate XFR Performance”
The AMD Ryzen™ Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics provides elite GPU performance;
- Delivers smooth and playable framerates at 1080p in popular eSports titles such as League of Legends™, Overwatch™, CS:GO™ and DOTA™ 2, in an ultrathin form factor
- Ready to power the most advanced & beautiful displays including HDR, Radeon™ FreeSync™ 2, and 4K monitors
- AMD is ahead of pace for its 25X20 initiative, with the AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U processor enabling a 5.86X energy efficiency improvement since the beginning of the initiative
- AMD Ryzen™ mobile processor is targeting up to a 2X battery life improvement
AMD Ryzen™ Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
Model CPU Cores Threads Max Clock (GHz) Graphics Compute Units8 Max GPU Clock (MHz) L2/L3 Cache (MB) cTDP (Watts) Ryzen™ 7 2700U with Radeon™ Vega10 Graphics 4 8 3.8 10 1300 6 15W Nominal Ryzen™ 5 2500U with Radeon™ Vega8 Graphics 4 8 3.6 8 1100 6 15W Nominal
In the coming weeks, initial systems powered by Ryzen™ mobile processors are slated to be available from top manufacturers including Acer, HP and Lenovo, with further platform updates expected from Dell, Asus and other OEMs in early 2018.