Smartphones are getting more advancements in the past few months. With the advent of dual camera-equipped smartphones a lot of features have been thrown into the limelight such as depth of field, monochrome, and even advanced manual settings. ASUS now joins the twin camera race at CES 2017 with the launch of the ZenFone 3 Zoom.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 octa-core processor
- RAM: 3GB/4GB of RAM
- Display: 5.5-inch, full HD Super AMOLED display, Gorilla Glass 5 protection, 1920 x 1080 resolution
- GPU: Mali-T720MP2
- Storage: 32GB/64GB expandable storage
- Front Camera: 13-megapixel, Sony IMX214, f/2.0 aperture
- Rear Camera: Twin 12-megapixel rear cameras, Sony IMX362 image sensor, f/1.7 aperture, 1x, 2.3x optical zoom, laser AF, PDAF, EIS, OIS, 4K video recording
- Sim: Dual-SIM
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, 3G HSPA+
- USB Connectivity: USB Type-C / USB OTG /
- OS: Android 6 Marshmallow
- Battery: 5000mAh Lithium Polymer battery
Watch the whole keynote speech of Jonney Shih for more understanding of the product.
The notable observation was that ASUS powered down the zoom on the ZenFone 3 Zoom. While the original ASUS ZenFone Zoom had a 3X optical zoom, the ZenFone 3 Zoom has 2.3X magnification on one of the lenses in its twin camera set. ASUS made up for this with having a flat back on the ZenFone 3 Zoom instead of the large circular protrusion of its predecessor and bundled a 12-megapixel f/1.7 aperture wide angle lens to go with the main camera. According to ASUS that the twin lenses work to provide the professional feel to your photos by making the depth-of-field bokeh effect that blurs in the background while keeping the subject sharply in focus.
Pricing is not yet confirmed for the Philippine Market, but rumors have it that the ZenFone 3 Zoom might be close to the original ZenFone 3’s official SRP. Will this new addition to the ZenFone family replace the 5.5 version? We will know more after the phone has been released.