The AMD Radeon RX 480 Video Card is Here
GamingNews August 2, 2016 Jason Dayrit 0
It’s the dawn of the age of true Virtual Reality (VR), and everyone wants to get in on it. Gamers and tech enthusiasts have undoubtedly heard about the Occulus Rift, the fist big VR headset that really pushed the concept of 360-degree viewing and interaction of a digital world into the mainstream. There was also Google Cardboard, a much-simplified version of a wearable VR system that worked on Android phones.
While VR systems are cool and more are being released, it’s only the Google Cardboard project that is affordable to a bulk of the market. Most VR systems can cost a lot, especially with video cards for desktop setups. Enter AMD’s latest video card, the RX 480, a graphics processing unit that can go toe-to-toe with the best flagship NVIDIA hardware and can handle true VR experience starting at P15,000.
The Radeon RX 480 introduces premium technology engineered to deliver the best performance in its class, democratize VR and deliver a wide range of future-proof technologies supporting current and forthcoming game and video standards. The Radeon RX 480 card packs an unprecedented amount of gaming and VR goodness into an incredible price point:
- Premium technology engineered for unprecedented performance in its class – The Radeon™ RX 480 8GB card features the most advanced graphics and gaming technologies ever seen in a GPU at its price point, delivering the best performance in its class. The revolutionary Polaris architecture, optimized for the 14nm FinFET process, drives spectacular improvements in performance and efficiency. It delivers more than 15 percent more performance per compute unit, up to 2.8x the performance/Watt over AMD’s Radeon R9 200 series graphics architecture4, and fuels up to 5.8 trillion calculations a second. More information on the advances in the Polaris architecture are available here.
- The most affordable solution for premium VR experiences – The Radeon™ RX 480 card is the most affordable solution for premium VR experiences, being both Oculus™ Rift- and Steam®VR-Ready.5 Utilizing LiquidVR™ technologies designed to provide smoother, more comfortable VR experiences, the Radeon™ RX 480 card lowers the cost barrier to entry for PC VR making it affordable for millions of consumers. Visit Radeon.com here to learn more about how the Radeon™ RX 480 card is helping to truly democratize VR.
- Future-proof technologies – The Radeon™ RX 480 card continues the Radeon™ tradition of innovation being first to new process nodes, first in memory types and bandwidth, and first to support new gaming APIs. Gamers will enjoy the Radeon™ RX 480 card for a long time to come with a range of “future-proof” benefits including:
- Premium HD gaming in DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™ – The Radeon™ RX 480 card excels in DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™, APIs that are powering the future of gaming. Polaris architecture uniquely supports asynchronous compute for superior experiences in games and VR applications using these new APIs, and combined with AMD FreeSync™ Technology, gamers can enjoy silky smooth framerates at 1440p resolution across the most demanding games. More information on gaming in DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™ with the Radeon™ RX 480 card is available here.
- Next-generation display and video technologies – The Radeon™ RX 480 card features HDMI® 2.0b, DisplayPort™ 1.3 HBR3, and DisplayPort™ 1.4 HDR supporting the new generation of high-resolution HDR and high-refresh displays enabling experiences such as FreeSync™ with high-refresh 4K, high refresh UltraWide, and single-cable 5K resolution computing at 60Hz. The Radeon™ RX 480 features AMD’s most versatile decode accelerator ever, enabling beautiful HDR movies using 10-bit HEVC7 from the likes of Netflix and Amazon, accelerated H.264 video of streamers on Twitch, accelerated VP9 videos on sites like YouTube, and razor-sharp video calling using HEVC and MJPEG in applications like Skype. More information on the next-generation display and video technologies are available here.
- Unprecedented control with Radeon Software and the new Radeon WattMan – Radeon Software compliments the sophisticated hardware of the Radeon™ RX 480 graphics card, enabling the ultimate in performance, features and stability to ensure an exceptionally smooth and fast out-of-box experience, and one that gets better with age as updates roll out. Launching today with the Radeon™ RX 480 card are nine new features of Radeon Software Crimson Edition designed to give users more control over multi-GPU, display, and power efficiency settings. Radeon WattMan, based on AMD OverDrive™ technology, enables users to take complete control over the Radeon™ RX 480 card with a redefined overclocking experience9 and a wide range of features including dynamic GPU frequency and voltage curves that allow users to customize both elements across seven states. Radeon WattMan also delivers a new histogram interface that enables recording of per-application data to easily track peak and average activity, clocks, temperature and fan speed.
“Our message to gamers everywhere is that the Radeon™ RX 480 is every bit as much your card as it is ours,” said Raja Koduri, senior vice president and chief architect, Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. “We designed this technology by listening intently to you, the gamers who have bought and played on our graphics technology for years. We’ve worked tirelessly to produce something that satisfies the most discerning gamer, and delivers the ideal product at an impeccable price. We couldn’t be more grateful for the reception we’ve received from gamers, customers, and technology partners who see what our engineering team has accomplished, and agree that with the Radeon™ RX Series, gaming and VR is truly #BetterRed.”
The AMD Radeon RX 480 graphics card is now available to all brand retailers in the Philippines today, and prices start at P15,000.
No comments so far.
Be first to leave comment below.